| Practice Description: |
Mr. Stern has been a lawyer since 1977. He is a graduate of the Michigan State University School of Law and the University of Michigan. He has prepared and successfully tried all types of complex cases, such as medical malpractice, construction accidents, car and truck collisions, workers' compensation and Social Security claims. He has earned high ratings from other lawyers, as evidenced by his top AV rating by Martindale-Hubbell attorney rating system for skill, competence and integrity. He is respected throughout the metro Detroit area and is a sustaining member of the Michigan Association of Justice (formerly the Michigan Trial Lawyers Association), the Oakland County Bar Association and the State Bar of Michigan's Negligence, Workers' Compensation and Family Law sections.
Notable Cases and Results:
- Dupree vs H. Barry Jacobs that prohibited the hiring of experts on a contingency basis
- Felder vs Detroit Industrial Clinic that resulted in a substantial verdict in a claim that required the industrial clinic to have a patient-physician relationship
- Smith vs Calvary Christian Church that established the rights of people involved in disputes with religious organizations
- Richards vs Weersing that resulted in a successful verdict for a man who attended marriage counseling with a family physician who later married the wife
- Garabedian vs Lynch resulted in a successful malpractice verdict for a woman wrongly diagnosed as having HIV.
- Multitudes of large settlements in other negligence and malpractice cases.
State of Michigan Bar
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
United States 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
Michigan Supreme Court
Hourly Rate: Most cases are contingent. However, hourly rate is $300.
Retainer: None on virtually all injury cases. Variable in other cases.
Law School: Michigan State University School of Law, J.D., 1977
Law School Honors/Involvement: Law Review and legal research teaching assistant
Undergraduate School: University of Michigan, B.A., General Studies (emphasis on Near Eastern studies), 1973
Representative Clients: Injured workers and victims of negligence
Bar/Professional Association Involvement:
Oakland County Bar Association
Negligence, Workers' Compensation and Family Law sections, State Bar of Michigan
Community Involvement: Former board member of Deerfield Village Community Association; operated community swimming pool for seven years
The firm extensively handles workers' compensation claims in the tri-county area of Detroit as well as Medical Malpractice, general negligence and business disputes.
Family: Married to Judy, a former elementary teacher, for 44 years; two children (one a teacher and the other director of large non-profit organization; three grandchildren.30028880