3Eric Thomas CarverBloomfield Hills(248) email@example.com@dykema.comDykema Gossett PLLCwww.dykema.comwww.dykema.comcarvereric.jpgClosely & Privately Held Business LawTax Law: BusinessTrust, Will & Estate Planning Law|
|Recommended by peers in:|
|Closely & Privately Held Business Law|
|Tax Law: Business|
|Trust, Will & Estate Planning Law|
| Advisory Board Member|
| County: Oakland|
| Litigator: Yes|
| Practice Description: |
Eric Thomas Carver's practice focuses on Business Entity Planning; Taxation; Estate Planning; Family Wealth Transfers; Business Entity Formations; Corporate Planning and Taxation; Limited Liability Company Planning and Taxation; Tax Controversies; Mergers, Acquisitions and Divestitures; Real Estate Acquisitions, Charitable Giving and Charitable Trusts; Contested Estate, Trust and Probate Matters; Probate Litigation; and Decedent Estates and Probate Administration.
Additionally, Mr. Carver also:
- Works directly with individuals and families in the development of effective wealth transfer planning. This includes providing business and tax advice to family-owned businesses, as well as the development of overall estate planning documentation, including Wills, Revocable Living Trusts, Family Limited Partnerships, Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts, Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts, and Charitable Trusts.
- Provides legal and business advice to individuals and business entities engaged in the formation and development of business ventures, including the use of corporate and pass through entities.
- Provides specific tax representation with respect to the structure of partnerships, limited liability companies and similar pass through entities, as well as corporate and subchapter S issues related to mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, and tax-free reorganizations.
- Represents both buyers and sellers in the purchase or sale of businesses, through tax-free mergers, stock purchase arrangements, and asset acquisitions.
- Provides general representation to mid-size companies, including day-to-day legal representation, as well as coordination and oversight of legal services for the client.
- Assists private companies in the development of effective compensation and long-term benefit plans through the use of equity incentive, stock bonus, "phantom stock," and related compensatory techniques.
- Represents private companies in connection with access to capital securities and markets, including private placement of securities, and continuing compliance with federal and state securities laws.
- Represents both business entities and individuals seeking venture capital financing, as well as representing venture capital companies and investors in funding early-stage and start-up business entities.
- Provides assistance in the formation of private charitable foundations, including representation in connection with obtaining private letter rulings and determination letters.
- Provides representation to individuals and business entities in connection with tax controversies before the Internal Revenue Service, including representation of clients before the United States Tax Court.
- Provides representation to estates, trusts, trustees, and beneficiaries in contested estate, trust and probate administration matters, including representation of clients before the Florida, Illinois, Michigan, and New York Probate Court Systems.
- Received a Certificate of Completion from Michigan's ICLE Probate and Estate Planning Program.
- Received a Certificate of Completion from Michigan's ICLE Family Law Program.
Prior to Dykema, Mr. Carver was a tax consultant for Ernst & Young's Entrepreneur Group, and served in multiple administrative and legislative capacities for United States Senator Carl Levin.
U.S. Tax Court
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
University of Detroit, J.D.
Wayne State University, LL.M.
University of Detroit, M.B.A.
Wayne State University, B.S.
Bar/Professional Association Involvement:
- State Bar of Michigan
- Committee Chairperson, Business Entities Division of The Taxation Section, 2003-2005
- The Illinois State Bar Association
- The New York State Bar Association
- The Chicago Bar Association
- The Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- The Oakland County Bar Association
- Committee Member, Oakland Bar Association's Probate, Estates and Trust Committee, 2011
- The Wayne County Probate Bar Association
- The Financial and Estate Planning Council of Metropolitan, Detroit, Inc.
- Secretary and Treasurer, 2011
Awards; Honors; Distinctions:
- Leading Lawyers Advisory Board Charter Member, 2013
- AV Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America 2010-2013. Copyright 2012 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC
- Named a Michigan Super Lawyer by Law & Politics, 2010-2012
- Recognized in Crain's Detroit Business as Area's Top Lawyers 2009-2010
- Named a Top Lawyer by dbusiness Magazine, 2010, and 2013
- Wayne State University Law School Board of Visitors, Member
- Oakland University School of Business Administration's Paralegal Advisory Board, Member
- Senior Lecturer for Oakland University's School of Business Administration and The Center for Executive and Continuing Education Program
- Senior Lecturer for Oakland University's College of Arts and Science and Legal Assistant Program
- Adjunct Professor for the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law
- Adjunct Professor for the Thomas M. Cooley Law School
- Adjunct Professor for the Ave Maria School of Law
- Member of the Detroit Athletic Club
Published Legal Writing:
"Pet Trusts: Estate and Tax Planning Considerations Under Michigan Law," 2006, Michigan Tax Lawyer, State Bar of Michigan
"EPIC's Prudent Investor Rule: What Every Practitioner Should Know," 2000, Michigan Probate and Estate Planning Journal, State Bar of Michigan
"Is There a 'QSSS' In Your Future? An Examination of the Proposed Regulations for Qualified Subchapter S Subsidiaries," 1998
"A Valuation Primer: Trends and Techniques for Estate Planners," 1998, Michigan Bar Journal, State Bar of Michigan
"Closely Held Businesses," ICLE Michigan Basic Handbook, Sixth Edition
Map to Office:
Click here to view map