3Jeffrey A. BermanRolling Meadows(847) email@example.com@andersonwanca.comAnderson & Wancawww.andersonwanca.comwww.andersonwanca.combermanjeffrey.jpgInsurance Coverage Law: Consumer InsuredsInsurance, Insurance Coverage & Reinsurance LawInsurance Coverage LitigationComplex Commercial LitigationClass Action Litigation|
|Recommended by peers in:|| Extensive Experience in:|
|Insurance Coverage Law: Consumer Insureds|| Insurance Coverage Litigation|
|Insurance, Insurance Coverage & Reinsurance Law|| Complex Commercial Litigation|
| || Class Action Litigation|
| Advisory Board Member|
| County: Cook|
| Litigator: Yes|
| Practice Description: |
Jeff Berman has more than 25 years' of experience in a wide range of complex commercial litigation, in trial and appellate courts, arbitration and mediation matters. He regularly appears in state and federal courts, nationwide. His practice focuses primarily on underlying class actions and related insurance coverage and bad faith litigation stemming from consumer protection claims, privacy claims and personal and advertising injury claims. He has extensive experience litigating both underlying class actions and insurance coverage disputes arising out of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act and the Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act.
Notable Cases and Results:
- Lead litigation counsel in connection with insurance coverage litigation, in both state and federal courts, arising out of underlying class action claims based on federal statutory violations.
- Lead litigation counsel in connection with property and casualty insurance coverage litigation, in both state and federal courts.
- Preferred firm counsel, with lead responsibility for pre-litigation advice and litigation for insurance coverage claims arising out of intentional and criminal conduct.
- Lead counsel in homeowners' insurance litigation; obtained summary judgment regarding duty to defend and indemnify claims alleged in eight separate underlying suits by twenty-six claimants seeking damages from insured teacher's deviant, criminal misconduct.
- Trial co-counsel; successfully obtained federal jury verdict in commercial liability insurance coverage dispute arising out of underlying claims for employment and partnership benefits due and related settlement. Trial verdict was successfully defended and affirmed on subsequent appeal.
- Lead counsel in commercial insurance coverage dispute; obtained appellate court mandate for entry of summary judgment as to duty to defend nationwide underlying claims for patent infringement, misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair business practices, unfair competition, and interference with a prospective business relationship.
United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 1990
United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1987 (Trial Bar, 1994)
United States District Court, Central District of Illinois, 1990
United States District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2012
United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2012
Admitted pro hac vice in numerous state and federal courts
Date of Birth: 1962
University of Illinois, J.D., magna cum laude, 1987
Law School Honors/Involvement: Associate Editor, University of Illinois Law Review; Notes Editor, Illinois Bar Journal, Recent Decisions; Recipient, Harno Scholar academic recognition; Recipient, American Jurisprudence Award, U.C.C. Article 9
University of Illinois, B.S. in Accountancy, with honors, 1984
Undergraduate School Honors/Involvement:
Illinois Certified Public Accountant, Certificate issued 1984
- Anderson + Wanca, member, 2011 - present
- Meckler Bulger Tilson Marick & Pearson LLP, partner, Chicago, 2004 - 2011
- McGuireWoods LLP, partner, Chicago, 2003-2004
- Ross & Hardies LLP, partner, Chicago, 1995-2003
- Ross & Hardies LLP, associate, Chicago, 1987 - 1995
Bar/Professional Association Involvement:
- THE DOCKET, Official Publication of the Lake County Bar Association
- Editorial Board, 2012 - present
- Village Trustee, Village of Buffalo Grove, 1999 - present
- Elected: April, 1999; Re-elected: 2003, 2007, 2011
- Appointed and confirmed as Village President Pro Tem, 2011 - present
- Metra Citizens' Advisory Board, 2010 - present
- Appointed (representing Lake County): December, 2010
- Elected Chairman: May, 2011
- Regional Transportation Authority Citizens' Advisory Board, 2011 - present
- Lake County Transportation Alliance
- Board of Directors, 2012 - present
- Northwest Municipal Conference
- Transportation Committee, 2001 - present
- Lake County Private Activity Bond Allocation Advisory Committee, 2001 - present
- Village of Buffalo Grove
- Plan Commissioner, 1992 - 1999
Map to Office:
Click here to view map