| Practice Description: |
Mr. Ruff has been representing general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers and other participants in the construction industry since 1986. As the chair of Ogletree's construction practice group, which U.S. News and World Report has ranked as a Tier-1 practice group, Mr. Ruff prosecutes and defends claims arising out of public and private construction projects in federal and state court litigation, arbitration and mediation. Mr. Ruff handles claims involving construction and material defects, improper or non-conforming work, extra work, changed conditions, warranty, delay, disruption acceleration and contract interpretation. In addition, he assists contractors in negotiating construction contracts with owners, design builders and architects as well as preparing subcontract programs on a client-by-client or job-by-job basis. Mr. Ruff is familiar with traditional delivery systems as well as design-build, fast track, and collaborative systems.
Leading Lawyers Magazine named Mr. Ruff one of the top ten Illinois construction lawyers in 2008-2010. He has been acknowledged by Chambers USA for the past eight years and by the Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers publications.
Mr. Ruff serves on the Steering Committee of the Society of Illinois Construction Attorneys and is the past chair of the Chicago Bar Association Mechanics Lien and Construction Subcommittee. Mr. Ruff writes and lectures frequently on a variety of construction topics.
State Bar of Illinois, 1986
Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals; U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Federal Trial Bar
Year of Birth: 1958
Law School: Valparaiso University, J.D., 1986
Law School Honors/Involvement: Law Review; Outstanding Scholar Award
Undergraduate School: University of Colorado, B.A., 1981
Pepper Construction Company
Boller Construction Company, Inc.
Mechanical Dynamics & Analysis, LLC
American Installation Company
McShane Construction Corp.
Weis Builders, Inc.
Bar/Professional Association Involvement:
- Society of Illinois Construction Attorneys
- American Bar Association
- Forum on Construction Litigation
- Chicago Bar Association
- Mechanics Lien Subcommittee
Awards; Honors; Distinctions:
- "Top 10 Leading Construction Lawyers in Illinois," Leading Lawyers Magazine, 2008-2010
- Chicago Tier 1 Ranking, U.S. News and World Report Best Law Firms, 2012
- Listed, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Chambers and Partners, London, UK, 2004-present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rating
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, 2006-present
- Illinois Super Lawyer®, 2007-2012
- Leading Lawyers Member selected by peers in Construction Law