| Practice Description: |
John Womick is passionate about his work and deeply committed to time-tested notions of justice. "The important thing about what we do is that we help people who can't get help without us," he says of his firm, Womick Law Firm, Chartered. "We can help equalize the odds."
The firm is in the business of balancing the power between injured people and those who purposefully or accidentally do them wrong. The staff at Womick Law Firm, Chartered ensures that workers, consumers, patients, and victimized innocent bystanders are recognized and compensated by the justice system.
Possessed of a dry and self-deprecating wit that puts both clients and juries at ease, Mr. Womick prides himself on staying "sharp" in his courtroom skills: he conducts six to 12 twelve trials a year, compared to the typical attorney's three or four. He also attends professional conferences and seminars regularly to keep up with the latest developments in case law and medicine.
His efforts have paid off: over the span of a career that reaches back forty years, he has won significant jury verdicts for injured people.
"As a plaintiff's lawyer you work with people that have no money, no voice, and really no choice except for what you can potentially do for them," Womick notes. This is why Womick, the product of a working class family, relishes the difficult and demanding work of personal injury law.
Womick first developed his gusto for serving the public as City Attorney for Carbondale, Illinois. He represented Carbondale for seven years just as the Illinois constitution was changing, allowing greater home rule for cities. At the age of 27, he argued against one of his own law professors in the Supreme Court, and by litigating a number of cases in the Appellate and Supreme Courts of Illinois, he was able to impact state law for the better.
Today he proudly practices side by side with his daughter, his two sons-in-law, and over 20 paralegals and legal professionals in the firm's three offices at Herrin, Carbondale, and Swansea.
He has been named by the 60,000 Illinois attorneys in Sullivan's Law Directory as a Leading Lawyer in the state of Illinois, an honor conferred upon only the top 5% of attorneys in the state.
"I like the competitiveness of being in the courtroom," he says. Let Mr. Womick put his competitive nature and thirst for justice to work for you. Contact Womick Law Firm Chartered today at 1-800-598-2440.
Notable Cases and Results:
- Davis v. Emmerson Electric - in which a jury awarded $6 million to the family of Ronnie Davis, a construction worker who was operating a back hoe on the shoulder of Interstate 57 when a tractor semi-trailer owned by Emmerson Electric struck him and killed him.
- Yankee v. Followell Construction - in which a jury awarded $4 million to the family of a construction worker who was buried alive while retrieving a laser from a trench that had not been properly reinforced according to professional standards.
- Cochran v. American Recreation Products - in which the jury awarded $3 million to a young girl who was blinded in one eye after the tent pole that her father installed according to instructions shattered. The Chinese manufacturer of the plastic pole was brought in as a third party for this case.
- Isom vs Barham - a controversial case in southern Illinois, in which a jury found that, contrary to his testimony, local prison warden Isom had indeed been driving when he and Barham were caught in a car wreck that killed Barham. Isom had won the criminal trial for reckless homicide on appeal, but when Womick represented Barham's family in the civil court, the jury sided against Isom and awarded the Barham family $1.15 million.
- Cross vs Carbondale - a medical malpractice case in which it was found that an orthopedic surgeon's failure to diagnose a hip problem led to the ultimate physical deformation and development of a permanent limp in a young basketball star, who was awarded $1 million by the jury.
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
U.S. Supreme Court
Date of Birth: 1946
Law School: University of Illinois, J.D., 1971
Undergraduate School: University of Illinois, B.A., 1968
- City Attorney of Carbondale, Illinois, 1972-1980
Bar/Professional Association Involvement:
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
Awards; Honors; Distinctions:
- Leading Lawyers Member selected by peers in Personal Injury Law: General, Personal Injury Law: Professional Malpractice, and Workers' Compensation Law
Additional Office Locations:
1001 E. Main St.
107 Lanaghan Dr.