| Practice Description: |
A Chicago attorney concentrating in construction law, Ms. Newman's practice includes complex construction litigation in both the private and public sectors. Her clients are owners, general contractors, specialty trade contractors, and disadvantaged business enterprises. She has a particular emphasis in construction defects litigation, counseling clients on the drafting and negotiating of construction contracts, mechanics' lien claims, and foreclosure actions. She also counsels clients in the areas of DBE, WBE, and MBE certification and compliance.
Ms. Newman has authored several publications related to construction law, including "Construction Contracts" in the Illinois Construction Law Manual, "Forms We Advocate When Representing the Subcontractor" in Construction Business Formbook, and numerous articles on topics ranging from liens and security interests to minority business enterprises and affirmative action.
Ms. Newman is also active in several construction industry associations, including the Society Of Illinois Construction Attorneys, the ABA Forum Committee on the Construction Industry, the Association of Subcontractors and Affiliates (ASA Chicago- Board Member), and the Women Construction Owners and Executives Chicago Caucus, among others. She has also been an adjunct professor of Construction Law at John Marshall Law School and is a frequent speaker at seminars and construction trade associations with an emphasis on construction law. She was selected for inclusion in the 2010 Illinois Super Lawyers magazine as one of the top lawyers in the category of construction litigation and was included by Leading Lawyers as one of the top lawyers in Illinois, as chosen by her peers, in the field of construction law.
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 1983
United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 1987
Eligible to practice before the United States Supreme Court
Year of Birth: 1947
Law School: John Marshall Law School, J.D., 1983
Law School Honors/Involvement: With high distinction; John Marshall Law Review
Graduate School: Roosevelt University, M.A., 1973
Undergraduate School: Brooklyn College, B.A., 1969
Bar/Professional Association Involvement:
- Society Of Illinois Construction Attorneys
- American Bar Association
- Forum Committee on the Construction Industry
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Real Estate Law Section Council
- Construction Law Committee
- Chicago Bar Association
- Committee on Real Property
- Committee on Construction Issues
- Committee on Mechanic's Liens
- Committee on Real Estate Litigation
- Association of Subcontractors & Affiliates (ASA Chicago)
- Lake County Contractors Association
- Government Affairs Committee
- Underground Contractors Association
- Women Construction Owners and Executives, U.S.A.
- National Public Relations Chairperson, 1990-91
- National Association of Women in Construction
Published Legal Writing:
- "Forms We Advocate When Representing The Subcontractor," 2004
- "Mechanics Lien Forms," 2002/04
- "Minority/Women's/Disadvantaged Businesses," 1999
- "Affirmative Action and The Construction Industry," 1996
- "Impermissible Reverse Discrimination v. Allowable Affirmative Action, The Supreme Court Upholds Racial Classifications," 1981
- "Liens And Other Security Interests: Money, Money, Money - Who Gets The Money?"
- "The Minority Business Enterprise/Joint Venture - Reality v. Fiction"
- "Affirmative Action Issues Important For the Construction Industry"
- "Affirmative Action Programs and Bid Protests - When Is An Apparent Low Bidder At Risk?"
Ms. Newman has had speaking engagements with the following sponsors:
- Construction Super Conference on Subcontractors' Rights and Affirmative Action Programs
- 4th Biennial Construction Law Institute, University of Kentucky College of Law
- American Bar Association Forum Committee on the Construction Industry
- 11th Annual National Minority & Women Business/Equal Employment/Contract Compliance Conference
- Chicago Bar Association Annual Mechanic's Lien Seminar