|Advisory Board Member|
| Litigator: Yes|
| Practice Description: |
John S. Mrowiec is a founding partner in the firm of Conway & Mrowiec. Mr. Mrowiec represents project participants in arbitration, litigation, mediation, contract drafting and claim preparation. He has tried, arbitrated or mediated several complex cases throughout the United States, most recently, successfully represented a general contractor to recover a seven-figure claim on an urban school project in a multi-week arbitration against a earth retention subcontractor involving the cause of damages to an adjacent property and loss of efficiency, delay and acceleration damages on impacted project through arbitration award, confirmation, subcontractor's appeal and collection from appeal bond surety and successfully represented a multiple prime contractor to recover a seven-figure claim in a multi-week arbitration against an owner involving out-of-sequence work on a hospital project caused by owner's construction manager and loss of efficiency, delay and acceleration damages through award and collection. Mr. Mrowiec has drafted and negotiated more than one billion dollars in construction, construction management, design/build, design and trade contracts most recently on the largest private mixed use project started in Chicago in five years.
Mr. Mrowiec has authored over 110 construction law articles, is a co-author of the chapter on general contractors' mechanics lien rights in the leading publication concerning Illinois mechanics lien rights, of a chapter on representing the general contractor on Pre-Contract Issues and of a chapter on Delay Claims for Construction Change Order Claims 2d in the Wolters Kluwer Construction Law Library. Mr. Mrowiec was selected by his peers to the initial board of Leading Lawyers, to Best Lawyers in America and Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business. Mr. Mrowiec also holds a Martindale-Hubbell Rating of AV Preeminent.
Mr. Mrowiec has addressed construction industry groups on over seventy occasions and authored manuals on the American Institute of Architects' family of construction contracts and related documents; new developments in construction law; public construction bidding and performance; design/build and construction management contracts and disputes; delay and labor productivity claims; and mechanics lien and payment bond claims.
Since 2000, Mr. Mrowiec has been a member of the Facilities Committee, since 2005, the Board of Trustees, since 2010, Chair of the Facilities Committee, and since 2012, member of the Executive Committee of the Board, of the Francis W. Parker School, Chicago, Illinois.
Notable Cases and Results:
- Lakewood Prairie, LLC v. Ibarra Concrete Co., 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 46185 (N.D. Ill. 2008)
- County of DuPage v. Matthei & Colin Associates, 369 Ill. App. 3d 1051 (2d Dist. 2007)
- Acme Metals, Inc. v. Raytheon Engineers & Constructors, Inc. (In re Acme Metals, Inc.), 257 B.R. 714 (Bankr. Ct. D. Del. 2000)
- Southwest Financial Bank & Trust Co. v. George Hyman Construction Co., 940 F. Supp. 1331 (N.D. Ill. 1996)
- United States f/u/b DJM Construction, Inc. v. Rust Engineering Co., 1996 WL 204318 (N.D. Ill. 1996)
- Mellon Stuart Construction, Inc. v. MWRDGC, 1995 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 3493 (N.D. Ill. 1995)
- Downey, Inc. v. Bradley Center Corp., 524 N.W.2d 915 (Wis. Ct. App. 1994)
- In re KNM Roswell LP, 126 B.R. 548 (Bankr. Ct. N.D. Ill. 1991)
- In re Highland Park Associates LP, 130 B.R. 55 (Bankr. Ct. N.D. Ill. 1991)
- Mellon Stuart Construction, Inc. v. MWRDGC, 1990 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 7669 (N.D. Ill. 1990)
- See more at: http://www.cmcontractors.com/attorneys/john-s-mrowiec/#sthash.FbyW5uvy.dpuf
1985, U.S. District Courts, Northern District of Illinois including Trial Bar, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin and Northern District of Indiana
Year of Birth: 1954
Law School: DePaul University College of Law, J.D., 1983; Marshall-Wythe Law School, College of William & Mary, Exeter, Devonshire, England
Undergraduate School: Northern Illinois University, B.A., 1980
Undergraduate School Honors/Involvement: cum laude
Bar/Professional Association Involvement:
Chicago and American (Member, Construction Industry Forum, Public Contracts and Litigation Sections) Bar Associations
Builders Association of Greater Chicago
Associated General Contractors
American Institute of Architects
Society of Illinois Construction Lawyers
|Map to Office: Click here to view map|