| Practice Description: |
A courtroom attorney his entire life, Jeffrey Singer has tried more than 60 jury trials to verdict. He has a national practice in complex commercial litigation, representing large corporations throughout the United States, including:
He won national attention as lead trial counsel in JamSports, LLC v. Clear Channel Communications, an anti-trust case that resulted in a $90 million verdict for his client, setting the record for the highest punitive damages award in the history of the seventh circuit. His responsibilities as a national counsel for a variety of companies began in the 1990s and continue today. His cases have included the defense of design defect product liability claims filed as class actions or as individual lawsuits against domestic and multinational companies in both the automotive and medical device industries.
- Boston Scientific Corporation
- CNA Health Pro
- HJC Corporation
- I-Flow Corporation
- Isuzu Motors America
- Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Inc.
- Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- Mazda Motor Corporation
- Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America
- Navistar, Inc.
- PACCAR, Inc.
- Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
- St. Jude Medical
- Subaru of America
- Tokio Fire and Marine Insurance Co.
- Toyota Motor Corporation
- Volvo North America
- Yamaha Motor Corp., U.S.A.
In 2010, Mr. Singer led a trial team to a triple defense verdict in a consolidated trial of three product liability lawsuits in the federal court in Portland, Oregon, regarding a medical device that has been the subject of hundreds of lawsuits filed against the client and other members of its industry throughout the United States. Mr. Singer now serves as national trial and national coordinating counsel for that medical device company.
Mr. Singer's legal skills are so highly regarded that the 60,000 attorneys in Sullivan's Law Directory have voted him a Leading Lawyer, an honor only given to the top five percent of attorneys in Illinois, and he has also been recognized by Lawyers Weekly, which listed his work in its "Top Ten Trial Verdicts" and by The National Law Journal, which recognized him in its "Top 100 Verdicts of the Year." MEDMARC, which insures medical products companies, named him its "Defense Attorney of the Year."
Mr. Singer is currently co-chair of Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney, Ltd. and sits on the Executive Committee of the firm. Throughout his career he has devoted himself to the development and growth of Segal McCambridge, overseeing the firm's expansion to a national presence while serving on its management committees. He is also an avid supporter of the arts and is a member of the Recording Academy of America and the Directors' Circle of Chicago's Steppenwolf Theater.
Notable Cases and Results:
- Co-Chairman, Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney, 2005 to date
- Successfully obtained bar of class certification in federal trademark case involving Internet commerce.
- Obtained $90 million jury verdict in federal court (N.D.Ill.) on behalf of plaintiff JamSports and Entertainment, a complex case involving tortious interference with contract and antitrust issues.
- Past or current national counsel retentions: pain pump litigation, human cadaver tissue litigation, latex glove allergy litigation, intra-uterine pressure catheter litigation, diet drug litigation, diesel fuel litigation
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
More than 30 pro hac vice court admissions
Date of Birth: 1950
Law School: Drake University School of Law, J.D., 1975
Undergraduate School: Drake University, B.A., 1972
Bar/Professional Association Involvement:
- The Economic Club of Chicago
- Center for Wrongful Convictions
- Chicago Council on Global Affairs
- Product Liability Advisory Council, Sustaining Member
- Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine
- Defense Research Institute
- Japan-American Society of Chicago
- Mealey Publications Pharmaceutical Defense Advisory Council, 2006
Awards; Honors; Distinctions:
- "Top Ten Trial Verdicts," Lawyers Weekly, 2006
- "Top 100 Jury Trial Verdicts," National Law Journal, 2005
- MEDMARC "Defense Attorney of the Year," 1994
- Listed, Who's Who:
Who's Who in American Law, 1991-present
Who's Who in North America, 2009-2010
Who's Who in Finance and Business, 2007
International Who's Who of Product Liability Defense Lawyers, 2012
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rating
- Leading Lawyers Member selected by peers in Class Action/Mass Tort Defense Law, Commercial Litigation, Personal Injury Defense Law: General, Products Liability Defense Law, and Toxic Torts Defense Law
- Omicron Delta Kappa National Service Fraternity
- Recording Academy of America
Published Legal Writing:
- "Federal Agency Records: Restricting Their Discovery and Use in Product Liability Litigation," Strictly Speaking Newsletter, Defense Research Institute, January 2006
- "FOIA Disclosures: Restricting Their Discovery and Use by Opposing Counsel," (co-author), Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney's Toxic Tort Newsletter, Volume 4, Issue 1, Spring 2005
- "Parties to Product Liability Cases," Handbook of Product Liability Practice, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2003
- "Declaratory Relief," Illinois Civil Practice, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 2003
- "Recent Developments in Products, General Liability and Consumer Law," 35 Tort & Insurance Law Journal 553, Winter 2000
- "Parties to Product Liability Cases," Handbook of Product Liability Practice, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 1999
- "Defeating the Plaintiffs' Automotive Products Case," Daubert Revisited, Defense Research Institute, 1998
- "Declaratory Relief," Illinois Civil Practice, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 1997
- "Parties to Product Liability Cases," Handbook of Product Liability Practice, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 1996
- "Preemption of State Law Product Liability Claims by Medical Device Amendments of 1976," Product Safety and Liability Reporter, Volume 23, Number 38, September 29, 1995
- "Attacking Accident Reconstruction Testimony," For the Defense, Volume 34, Number 4, April 1992
- Presenter, Law Bulletin Seminars' Annual Judges Symposium: Examining How We Can Improve the Litigation Process in Illinois, Chicago, IL, November 14, 2012
- Panelist, "Class Actions: New Risks and New Defenses," Perrin Conferences' National Complex Litigation Conference: A Symposium on Current & Emerging Issues, Chicago, IL, June 27, 2012
- Presenter, Law Bulletin Seminars' Case Evaluation 2011, Chicago IL, November 17, 2011
- Presenter, Pharmaceutical Litigation Crash Course, HB Litigation Conferences, October 28, 2009
- Presenter, "Jury Communication and Advocacy: Using Themes, Telling a Detailed Story, and Overcoming Sympathy for Plaintiffs and Bias Against Manufacturers," American Conference Institute's Defending and Managing Automotive Product Liability Conference, Chicago, IL, October 29, 2008
- Presenter, "The Disgruntled, Hostile, or Discredited Employee," Product Liability Advisory Council (PLAC) 2007 Fall Conference, Tucson, AZ, October 17-19, 2007
- Presenter, "Patience, Persistence and a Personal Touch - A Practical Approach to Settling Product Liability Cases," Defense Research Institute's Strictly Automotive Seminar, San Diego, CA, September 6-7, 2007
- Panelist, "Responding Effectively to an Industry Under Attack" and "Defusing Punitive Damages at Trial," Mealey's Defense Strategies in Pharmaceutical Litigation Conference, Dana Point, CA, January 26-27, 2006
- Panelist, "I Fought The Law," 2005 Billboard Roadwork Touring Conference & Awards, New York, NY, October 25-26, 2005
- Presenter, "Medical Device OEM and Supplier Contracts - A Study of the Legal Relationship," Orthopaedic Manufacturing & Technology Exposition and Conference, Rosemont, IL, June 21-22, 2005
- Presenter, "FOIA, Attorney - Client Privilege waiver in the European Community and Other Issues," Product Liability Advisory Council, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, April 22, 2004
- Presenter, Mealey's Innovative Defense Strategies in Drug & Medical Device Litigation Conference, Scottsdale, AZ, March 22, 2004
- Presenter, "Applying the Lessons of the Past to the Litigation of the Future," Product Liability Advisory Council, Orlando, FL, November 6, 2003
- Presenter, Mealey's Emerging Drugs and Medical Devices Seminar, Naples, FL, December 19, 2002