| Practice Description: |
Mr. Duffy represents developers in all aspects of real estate development, including real estate acquisitions and dispositions, retail, industrial and mixed use developments and related leasing, construction, permanent and securitized lending, intercreditor agreements with mezzanine and subordinate lenders, debt restructuring, work-outs and real estate litigation. He provides ongoing counsel to preeminent shopping center and industrial developers in all aspects of development, including acquisitions of vacant land and annexation to adjacent municipalities, negotiation of municipal development agreements, Brownfield redevelopment, redevelopment of obsolete retail projects, zoning, TIF financing, governmental tax rebates and abatements, special service area agreements, ground leases, site development agreements and reciprocal easement agreements.
Notable Cases and Results:
- Represents Davis Street Land Co. in its acquisition, financing and development of upscale regional malls and mixed-use retail projects in its geographic locations throughout the country; as counsel, has combined several separate retail project ownership entities having different investors that were rolled up into a single unified ownership structure owning several properties; has negotiated and closed significant refinancing for numerous properties and defeasance of several loans; represented Davis Street Land Company in the transfer and disposition of several regional mall assets in a cash/stock deal with a major REIT.
- Represented the developer in the conversion of an obsolete downtown 43-story office building into a mixed-use development containing 313 market rate and affordable housing apartments utilizing TIF financing, tax credit financing and municipal bond financing.
- Represented Chelsea CGA, the foremost outlet mall developer in the country, in its acquisition and development of a 450,000-square-foot outlet mall in Aurora, including a $23 million TIF agreement with the City of Aurora.
- Represents International Airport Centers, a developer that acquires and develops airport proximate and general industrial distribution centers throughout the United States in the acquisition, financing and leasing of the distribution centers
- Represents Urban Retail Properties Co., a nationally reorganized development and management company involved in upscale retail and mixed-use projects, in multiple development transactions including acquisition and financing of several mixed-use retail projects and ground-up developments
- Represents several banks in connection with construction lending on all types of real estate transactions
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 1976
Year of Birth: 1950
Law School: DePaul University College of Law,J.D. 1976,
Law School Honors/Involvement: Cum laude
Undergraduate School: University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 1972
Bar/Professional Association Involvement:
International Council of Shopping Centers
Member, Illinois Super Lawyers