| Practice Description: |
Mr. Donohue concentrates his practice in the defense of professional negligence, product liability, and general liability cases. He specializes in handling catastrophic injury claims against hospitals, physicians, attorneys, and other professionals. He also has frequently served as a mediator in alternative dispute resolution proceedings involving professional negligence, insurance coverage, and commercial claims.
One of the Chicago's most sought-after defense lawyers, Chicago Lawyer Magazine rated him as one of the top 20 tort defense lawyers in the city. He has also been recognized by his peers as an elected Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and has served on the Board of Directors for the Society of Trial Lawyers. He is a Fellow of the International Society of Barristers.
He has been named by his peers as a Leading Lawyer in the areas of Class Action/Mass Tort Defense Law, Medical Malpractice Defense Law, Products Liability Defense Law, Professional Malpractice Defense Law: Including Legal/Technical/Financial, and ADR Law: Personal Injury. In 2005, he was also named one of the top 100 Super Lawyers® in Illinois in the area of Insurance Defense: Personal Injury. In 2006, he was given the top 10 honor in the area of Medical Malpractice: Defense.
He joined the firm as a founding partner in 1995, having previously been a partner at Baker & McKenzie, which he joined in 1979. He graduated from Northwestern University School of Law, cum laude, where he was a Notes and Comments Editor of the Northwestern University Law Review. He received his undergraduate degree from Dartmouth College, cum laude, in 1972. Between college and law school, Mr. Donohue served on active duty as a Naval aviator stationed at the Naval Air Station, Point Mugu, California; from there he made three six-month deployments to Antarctica in support of Operation Deep Freeze. From 1976-1993, he served in the Naval Air Reserves flying out of the Glenview Naval Air Station.
Year of Birth: 1950
Law School: Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., 1979
Law School Honors/Involvement: Cum laude; Northwestern University Law Review Notes and Comments Editor
Undergraduate School: Dartmouth College, B.A., 1972
Undergraduate School Honors/Involvement: Cum laude
- Donohue Brown Mathewson & Smyth LLC, 1995-present, founding partner
- Baker & McKenzie, 1979-1995, partner
- Naval Air Reserves, Glenview Naval Air Station, 1979-1993
- Naval Air Station, Point Mugu, California and Antarctica, Operation Deep Freeze, aviator, 1972-1979
Bar/Professional Association Involvement:
Awards; Honors; Distinctions:
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- "Top 20 Tort Defense Lawyers," Chicago Lawyer Magazine
- Illinois Top 10 Super Lawyers® in Medical Malpractice: Defense, 2006
- Illinois Top 100 Super Lawyers® in Insurance Defense: Personal Injury, 2005
- Leading Lawyers Member selected by peers in Class Action/Mass Tort Defense Law, Medical Malpractice Defense Law, Products Liability Defense Law, Professional Malpractice Defense Law: Including Legal/Technical/Financial, and ADR Law: Personal Injury