| Practice Description: |
Robert J. Bingle joined the Chicago law firm of Corboy & Demetrio in 1983, became a partner in 1991 and Managing Partner in 1995. Over the last 26 years, he has been involved in every type of personal injury and wrongful death case and has obtained numerous multi-million dollar verdicts and settlement for his clients.
As a result of Bob's extensive legal experience, he has acquired leadership positions on mass tort litigation arising from railroad collisions, gas explosions and fires and other disasters. In 2011, Bob secured a $22.5 million settlement for the family of a Rockford woman killed in a train derailment. He was lead plaintiffs' counsel for the litigation stemming from the collision of a train and school bus in Fox River Grove, Illinois, which settled in excess of $25 million and was one of the lead attorneys in a $10 million settlement stemming from a collision at a Union Pacific rail yard that resulted in the death of the three men. He was also the lead trial attorney and directed the mass litigation stemming from the Quantum Chemical explosion which settled for more than $20 million.
Bob has secured a number of record-setting verdicts. In a Federal District Court lawsuit Bob tried a $6.6 million verdict was awarded to a family injured in an automobile collision. It was the largest verdict ever in that Court. In a railroad negligence case, the jury returned a $6.8 million verdict, the highest amount ever awarded in Illinois to an individual for the loss of his leg.
A few of Bob's other notable cases include an $18 million settlement for the family of a Mexican national who was killed by a piece of falling glass from Chicago’s CNA Tower, a $4.5 million settlement for a young man burned at a chemical refinery and a $3.9 million verdict for the family of a 10-year-old girl who drowned at a municipal water station.
Bob is the Managing Partner at Corboy & Demetrio, and n addition to his trial work, is very active in bar association work. He is a past President of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA) and is now on its Board of Managers. He served as Chairman of ITLA's Membership and Legal Education Committees and Co-Chairman of its Legislative Committee. By appointment of the Illinois Supreme Court, Bob served from 2004-2014 on the Illinois Supreme Court Committee on Jury Instructions in Civil Cases. He is a past board member of the Illinois Supreme Court Character and Fitness Committee.
Bob has also been a faculty member at the National Institute for Trial Advocacy and a member of the Loyola University Chicago School of Law Alumni Board.
He lectures extensively throughout the United States at bar association and interest group seminars and has published chapters and articles in legal books, periodicals and newspapers. He is frequently called upon by the media to comment on legal issues involving civil litigation and has appeared nationally and locally on television and radio news broadcasts and news talk programs.
Bob's community involvement includes: the Board of Trustees and Chairman of the Jobs Committee at Christ the King Jesuit Preparatory School in Chicago. Bob was a previously a member of the Fenwick High School Board of Trustees; CARPLS Board of Trustees; Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Metropolitan Chicago Board of Trustees and the St. Isaac Joques School Board.
In 2016, Bob was named to named to Best Lawyers in America by U.S. News and World Report, for the second consecutive year in the areas of Personal Injury Litigation and Commercial Litigation.
A member of Leading Lawyers, the top 5% of all Illinois attorneys, Bob is also an Illinois Super Lawyer and has attained an AV rating - the highest level awarded for professional excellence - from the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory.
Bob brings a unique background to the firm. Before joining Corboy & Demetrio, he was a sales and marketing director for Hilton Hotels Corporation.
Notable Cases and Results:
Bob has obtained numerous multi-million and record setting verdicts and settlements including:
- a settlement in excess of $25 million for the litigation stemming from the collision of a train and school bus in Fox River Grove, Illinois
- $10 million settlement from a collision at a Union Pacific rail yard that resulted in the death of three men
- $20 million settlement from the mass tort litigation from the Quantum Chemical explosion
- $6.6 million Federal District Court verdict for a family injured in an automobile collision
- $6.8 million verdict in a railroad negligence case
- $18 million settlement for the family of a woman killed by a piece of falling glass from Chicago's CNA Tower
- $4.5 million settlement for a man burned at a chemical refinery
- $3.9 million verdict for the family of a young girl who drowned at a water station
- $7.5 million verdict in a railroad injury case where a man lost his leg
Illinois Bar, 1981
United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Hourly Rate: Contingent Fee
Retainer: Not Applicable
Date of Birth: 1951
Law School: Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., 1981
Graduate School: University of Chicago, M.A., 1975
Undergraduate School: University of Notre Dame, B.A., 1973
Severely injured individuals and their families in personal injury and wrongful death cases.
Bar/Professional Association Involvement:
- Illinois Supreme Court Committee on Jury Instructions in Civil Cases, 2004-present
- Executive Committee- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA), 2003-2004, 2004-2005,
- President, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association ITLA, 2002-2003
- Chicago Bar Association (CBA)
- American Association for Justice (AAJ)
- National Trial Lawyers Association
- The Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America
- American Bar Association (ABA) Section on Litigation
- ITLA Long Range Planning Committee - Chairman 1999-2000, 2001
- ITLA Legislative Committee, 1985-2002
- ITLA Public Relations Committee, 1985-1987
- ITLA Board of Managers, June, 1987-present
- ITLA Chairman, Membership Committee, 1988-1990, 1992-1994
- ITLA Co-Chairman, Legislative Committee, 1994-1996
- ITLA Executive Committee, 1995-2003
- ITLA Chairman, Legal Education Programs, 1995-1997
- ITLA Journal, Editorial Board, 1999
- Illinois Supreme Court Committee on Character and Fitness, First District, 1993-2001
- Chairman, Chicago Bar Association (CBA) House Committee, 1992-1993, 1993-1994
- DuPage County Bar Association, 1990-2011
- Railroad Law Section of AAJ, 1991-2003
- Standing Committee on Judicial Appointments, ISBA, 1994-1995
Awards; Honors; Distinctions:
- Martindale Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rating
- Leading Lawyers Member selected by peers in the areas of Personal Injury Law: General and Personal Injury Law: Transportation Including FELA & Maritime
- Boston College Parent's Council
- Christ the King Jesuit College Preparatory School- Board of Trustees
- Oblates of St. Francis de sales- Toledo-Detroit- Province Review Board
Published Legal Writing:
"Winning the Verdict with Video and Virtual Reality," The National Law Journal, June 15, 1998
"Practicing Law Institute: How to Try a Personal Injury Case- Strategies and Techniques from the Experts," chair and editor of satellite program, October, 1998
"When Can the Government be Sued Under the Illinois Tort Immunity Act? The Conundrum of Discretionary Versus Ministerial Acts," ITLA Journal, June, 1999
"The Liability of Non-Operator Defendant," ITLA publication, Automobile Litigation in Illinois, Spring, 2002
"Motor Vehicle Actions-Railroad," IICLE publication, Illinois Causes of Action-Elements, Forms and Winning Tips: Tort Actions Handbook, 2002
"A Continuing Conundrum: The Elusive Definition of Discretionary Acts," Trial Journal, Winter 2007
- "Trial Practice from Voir Dire through Post Trial - Setting the Stage for Success," Illinois State Bar Association, CLE for Illinois Lawyers, 2010
- "Zealous Advocacy- What Does It Mean?," Ethics & Professionalism in the Personal Injury Practice Seminar, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2010
- "Opening Statement," Trial Preparation Seminar, Suisse Bancorp, 2010
- "Caps on Medical Malpractice Awards Are Bad Policy," Northwestern University Political Union, 2010
- "Case Evaluation Conference, Managing the High Verdict Potential Case," Law Bulletin Seminars, 2009
- "Pro Bono Work," Current Issues in Professional Responsibility Seminar, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2008
- "Litigation Skills for Legal Staff in Illinois," Lorman Education Services, 2008
- "Opening Statement - Storytelling with Emotion and the Use of Rhetorical Devices," Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, 2007
- "Selecting and Influencing Your Jury," Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2006
- "Mastering Your Opening Statement in a Jury Trial," Chicago Bar Association, 2006
- "Opening Statements," President's Seminar, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2006
- "Tort Reform Debate," Extension 720 Radio Show with Milt Rosenberg, WGN, 2005
- "How Plaintiffs' Lawyers Perceive Insurance Companies," Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters Society, 2005
- "Settlements- Problems and Solutions," President's Seminar, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2004
- "Successfully Navigating Civil Litigation: Update and Overview of Civil Practice and Procedure Practical and Legal Considerations," Illinois State Bar Association, 2004
- "Point-Counterpoint," Evidence Seminar, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2003
- "Direct Examination," Trial Practice- Law Update and Practice Tips, Illinois State Bar Association, 2002
- "What's New in Government Tort Immunity," Central Illinois Civil Seminar Update and Review Seminar, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2002
- "Maximizing Damages in a Closed Head Injury Case," Point/Counterpoint Seminar, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2001
- "Empty Chair Defense," Evidence Seminar, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2000
- Federalist Society Debate, 1999
- Moderator and Program Planner, Evidence Seminar, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 1999
- "Trial Practice," Civil Practice Update Seminar, Illinois State Bar Association, 1999
- "Jury Selection," Bench/Bar Relations Committee Seminar, Chicago Bar Association, 1998
- "How to Try a Personal Injury Case," Practicing Law Institute, 1998
- ITLA Civil Practice Update and Review Seminar, September, 1998
- Moderator and Program Planner, Enhancing Your Law Practice Through Public Speaking Seminar, Chicago Bar Association, 1997
- "Mentoring," Tort Law Section Council Seminar, Illinois State Bar Association, 1997
- "Opening Statement," Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 1997
- "Expert Witness Foundations for Expert Opinions," Office of the Illinois Attorney General, 1997
- "The Plaintiff's Perspective on Mass Tort Litigation," Illinois Association of Defense Counsel, 1997
- "Trial Techniques Demonstration," Loyola University Chicago School of Law Dublin Health Law Conference, 1997
- "Negotiation and Mediation- A Systematic Approach," National Institute of Trial Advocacy, 1997
- "Trial Advocacy from Both Sides With Views From the Bench- Constructing and Presenting Plaintiff's Case-In-Chief," Point-Counterpoint Seminar, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 1997
- "Maximizing Results Through Settlement and Trial- Prosecuting the Negligence Case- Handling Coverage and Bad-Faith Issues to Maximize Settlement," Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 1997
- Illinois Civil and Criminal Justice Inside Insights Panel Discussion, 1996
- "The Art of Persuasion," Trial Practice Seminar, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 1996
- "The Settlement Dilemma," Practice Update and Review Seminar, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association,1996
- DePaul University College of Law National Symposium on the Legal and Business Issues of Tort Reform, 1996
- "Ten Reasons Why Lawyers are Hated- and Loved," Texas Trial Lawyers Association, 1994
- Annual Convention Melvin Belli Seminar, Association of Trial Lawyers of America, 1994
- "Evidence," Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 1993
- "Final Argument," Ultimate Trial Seminar II, New Mexico Trial Lawyers Association, 1992
- "Proof in Argument," Products Liability Seminar, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 1992
- "Products Liability," Law Education Series Civil Practice Seminar, Illinois State Bar Association, 1992
- "Proof & Argument in the Courtroom, Loss of Consortium and Society," Products Liability/Wrongful Death Seminar, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 1992
- "Proving Injury: Pain & Suffering, Loss of Consortium and Earnings," Chicago Bar Association, 1991
- "Slip and Fall- A Plaintiff's Perspective," Chicago Bar Association, 1991
- "Voir Dire," American Bar Association, 1991
- "Negligence," Civil Practice Update Review and Seminar, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 1991
- Committee on Professional Responsibility, Young Lawyers Section, Chicago Bar Association, 1991
- "Comparative Negligence," Young Lawyers Section Seminar, Chicago Bar Association, 1991
- "Negotiation," Aetna Insurance Company Claims Representatives Regional Conference, 1990
- "Defending Auto Accident Cases- Proving One-Car Accident Cases," Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 1990
- "Overcoming Governmental Tort Immunity- The Plaintiff's Perspective," Young Lawyers Section Seminar, Chicago Bar Association, 1990
Corboy & Demetrio is one of the nation's premier law firms. The firm represents individuals and their families in serious personal injury and wrongful death cases and is renowned for achievements in the courtroom and contributions to the community.
The rights, concerns and interests of the firm's clients are the core of its personal injury and wrongful death practice. Putting clients first has resulted in unparalleled and exceptional success - with the firm having acquired more than $3 billion in settlements and verdicts, of which nearly 600 were in excess of $1 million.
Among the firm's many other accomplishments, it has ranked first in the Chicago Lawyer Settlement Survey for the highest settlements in Illinois eight out of the past seventeen years, leading all other firms, and has ranked in the top four positions for all seventeen years. Thirteen attorneys- the largest number of attorneys for any Illinois personal injury law firm- are members of Leading Lawyers, a peer reviewed selection which recognizes only the top 5% of all Illinois lawyers. In addition, eleven partners have been selected by peer review to the Illinois Super Lawyers list and four of the firm's young attorneys are Illinois Super Lawyer Rising Stars.
Corboy & Demetrio is the only Chicago law firm to include four former Chicago Bar Association Presidents, and is also the only law firm to include four attorneys who have served as President of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association.
The firm was founded by nationally acclaimed Chicago trial lawyers Philip H. Corboy and Thomas A. Demetrio. Tom is hailed by the prestigious Lawdragon as the powerhouse of aviation and medical negligence law. In the windy city, he's the name for everything from medical malpractice claims to aviation disasters. He is Chicago's top trial lawyer who stands alone atop the Chicago trial bar for 100 million reasons, including the biggest injury verdict ever upheld by the Illinois Supreme Court. In 2010, Tom was presented with two awards from the Illinois Jury Verdict Reporter/Law Bulletin Publishing Company for Trial Lawyer Excellence: one for the largest wrongful death settlement ever in Illinois ($25.25 million) and one for acquiring five or more verdicts in excess of $5 million since 1990.
Philip Harnett Corboy, Jr., like Tom and partner David R. Barry, Jr., is a member of the invitation-only American College of Trial Lawyers, the country's pre-eminent organization of trial lawyers that limits its membership to the top 1% of all trial lawyers. Phil and Tom are also profiled in the invitation-only, peer selected list in the book, The Best Lawyers in America. In 2011, Tom was named by Best Lawyers in America as the Chicago Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year.
Corboy & Demetrio is and always has been committed and dedicated to serving the community. The firm establishes and funds scholarships, fellowships and endowments at local and national mentoring programs, high schools, and universities, including all six Chicago law schools. Partners, associates and office staff serve on Boards, raise funds, tutor, and lend a hand wherever needed for a variety of charities and nonprofit organizations. Partnering with Cristo Rey Jesuit High School's internship program, in 2006 the firm established a pro bono department, which helps the indigent and elderly with legal matters that affect their day-to-day quality of life.
Practice Group Description:
Plaintiff's Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Litigation, with an emphasis on Commercial and General Aviation, Medical Malpractice, Professional and Hospital Negligence, FELA, Product Liability, Premises Liability, Construction Accidents, Vehicular Accidents, Railroad Bus, Train and Truck Accidents, Class Action, Toxic Torts, Commercial Litigation.
Theatre Self-Park on Dearborn Street between Randolph and Lake Streets. Parking garage can be accessed from either Dearborn or Lake Streets.